First Presbyterian Church (Williamsburgh)

First Presbyterian Church (Williamsburgh)

The First Fresbyterian Church, in South Fourth street, corner of Sixth — This church was organized in May 1842, and consisted of fifteen members. It was, as its name imports, the first Presbyterian church established in this city, and has received since its organization, two hundred and eighty-two members.1

First Presbyterian disbanded in 1887, and the building was sold Trinity Methodist Protestant Church. In the late 1890s, the building was bought by Father Krauczunas of St. Mary Queen of Angels parish, a Lithunian Catholic parish founded in 1892. By 1914, the church had over 10,000 parisioners.2. Armburster, in a caption to a ca. 1920 photo, refers to the building as a "Polish Catholic church".

The building is now home to El Puente.

 

  • 1. Samuel Reynolds, A History of the City of Williamsburgh (Williamsburgh [N.Y.]: Joseph C. Gandar, 1852), 42.
  • 2. The Catholic Church in the United States of America, vol. III (New York: Catholic Editing Company, 1914), 570
Year
1852
Building type
Church
Address

211 South 4th Street
11211 NY
United States

Notes

Accordning to NYC Ago - in operation 1852 - 1887; then became Trinity M.P. Church; then St. Mary Queen of Angels RC (Lithuanian). Now home to El Puente.

40.7101207, -73.9586604

Recent Articles

  • St. Peter Claver…
  • Domino Sugar…
  • Congregation Ahavas…
  • Engelhardt's…
  • Williamsburg Bridge…
  • Astral Oil Works
  • Sts. Peter and Paul…
  • Historic Street…
  • Gandar's…
  • Mechanics &…
  • Graham &…
  • Annunciation Church…