brick

275 Classon Avenue

Constructed as the boiler house for J. Kayser & Co., manufacturer of silk goods and underwear. The building was a single story, but 85' tall. Kayser's factory was located on this block and on the block to the east. W.L. Fleisher & Co. were the engineers for the construction.1 The building has been converted to residential use, with windows introduced throughout the front facade.

Thomas Shoe Factory

Listed in the Real Estate Record as 5 stories, built at 6.1 The building was sold by Thomas to Israel Rokeach in 1913. By 1917, the building was occupied by Israel Rokeach and the Progressive Knitting Mills. In that year, a catastrophic fire occurred that nearly destroyed the building.

133 Calyer Street

One of five neo-Grec brick row houses built by Daniel W.L. Moore, a local builder/developer. Design of the buildings is attributed to Frederick Weber.

The two-story houses were originally designed with projecting square oriel windows with a modillioned cornice at the first floor and square-headed windows with corbeled sills and incised lintels at the second floor. 133 Calyer is missing its original oriel window but does retain most of its original ironwork.

Recent Articles

  • History of the…
  • Mae West Didn'…
  • St. Peter Claver…
  • Domino Sugar…
  • Congregation Ahavas…
  • Engelhardt's…
  • Williamsburg Bridge…
  • Astral Oil Works
  • Sts. Peter and Paul…
  • Historic Street…
  • Gandar's…
  • Mechanics &…